David is a Senior Associate working in our Healthcare and Life Sciences Department. He specialises in advising clients in the digital health, medical device, healthcare, software and pharmaceutical sectors with respect to regulatory compliance and litigation risk.
David regularly advises clients in relation to their applicable regulatory frameworks, routes to market, product safety, advertising, post-market obligations, product recall and regulatory enforcement issues. David advises clients engaged in healthcare research and the development of emerging healthcare technologies such as mHealth applications and wearables on a wide range of regulatory issues.
David has considerable experience in healthcare-related litigation and has recently represented a multinational healthcare company in high profile Supreme Court proceedings relating to professional negligence.
David obtained an LLB from the University of Ulster, an LLM in Medical Law from Trinity College Dublin and the LPC from the City University of London. He is qualified to practice in England, Wales, Northern Ireland and Ireland.
- Advising a multinational pharmaceutical company in relation to the clinical trial process and the implications of the new Clinical Trials Regulation (EU No. 536/2014)
- Advising clients in relation to Ireland’s medicinal cannabis and CBD regulatory framework
- Advising a multinational pharmaceutical company in relation to the transfer of marketing authorisation from the UK to Ireland as part of their Brexit contingency planning
- Advising clients in relation to their regulatory obligations as a wholesale medicinal product distributor
- Advising a client in relation to their proposed provision of telemedicine and remote prescription services
- Advising a multinational medical device manufacturer as to the regulatory steps required to market their products in this Ireland for the first time
- Advising clients in the wearable fitness industry in relation to the potential impact of the Medical Device Regulations on the development and marketing of their products
- Advising social media companies in relation to the implications of Data Protection Act 2018 (Section 36 (2)) (Health Research) Regulations 2018
- Representing a leading healthcare company in Supreme Court proceedings relating to professional negligence
- Advising an Irish private equity company in relation to its investment in an early-stage pharmaceutical company
- Advising an Irish medical device distributor in relation to their sourcing and supply of PPE and COVID-19 testing kits to Irish healthcare professionals
- LLB, University of Ulster
- LLM, Trinity college Dublin
- LPC, City, University of London
- Co-authored the Product Liability in Ireland (Ireland chapter) - Getting the Deal Through, 2019
Medical Device Supply Chains in the Age of COVID-19
As a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, companies engaged in the import and distribution of PPE and COVID-19 related...
3 Sep 2020
Legislators, Regulators and Innovators – The EU MDR Matrix
David Scott of BHSM will be giving a presentation on “Legislators, Regulators and Innovators – The EU MDR...
24 Feb 2020