James is a Senior Associate in our Commercial Real Estate department.
James has advised on the acquisition, disposal and leasing of a wide variety of properties, including offices, retail premises, warehousing and logistical units, apartment developments and manufacturing facilities. James has also advised numerous commercial tenants on occupational lettings.
James has worked closely with developers on site assembly projects and the enlargement of title to development sites.
In addition, James has extensive experience in the acquisition of hotels and has worked on the forward funding of several high-profile hotel development sites in Dublin city centre.
James has acted for the buyers of several Irish country estates, dealing with on-going asset management and advising on plans for future redevelopment.
Prior to joining BHSM, James completed his training and worked within the Commercial Real Estate department of a Big 5 law firm in Dublin.
- Worked with an international property company in assembling a development site in Dublin city centre, including the acquisition of historic Georgian townhouses, the enlargement of leasehold title through the Circuit Court Ground Rents procedure, the negotiation of disputes with adjoining owners, advice on possessory title and the negotiation of insurance cover for remaining title defects
- Acted for US private equity firm in the negotiation of an Option Agreement for a data centre site in rural Ireland
- Acted for the owner of several logistics parks in the negotiation of pre-let agreements with occupational tenants and the parallel sale of the investment interest in leased units
- Advised an international investor in the acquisition of a portfolio of service stations, conducting full due diligence on all portfolio assets, advising on steps to remediate red flags and management of a pre-sale carve-out and leaseback arrangement
- Acted for several Receivers in the bulk sale of several regional retail parks, shopping centres and apartment developments
- Acted in the acquisition and financing of a South Dublin brownfield site developed as an apartment scheme and housing estate
- Retained by a leading Irish fashion retailer in the management of its retail portfolio, including advice on new lettings and licence agreements as well as the surrender and re-gear of existing units
- Asset-management for a 5 Star Hotel campus, including the resolution of boundary disputes and cases of adverse possession, the grant of licences to tourism operators, advising on public rights of way and the preparation of filming licences
- Conducted full vendor due diligence for an international agri-food business in the disposal of its Irish food production plants
- Acted for an Irish pillar bank in taking security over a portfolio of newly built residential units located in Dublin’s commuter belt
- Negotiated water services wayleaves over adjoining lands on behalf of a leading Irish meat processor
- LLB in Law and European Studies, University of Limerick
- Master’s Degree in European Law, University College Dublin
- Qualified as a Solicitor in Ireland
The Importance of Written Partnership Agreements
What is a Partnership? Section 1(1) of the Partnership Act 1890 defines a partnership as the ‘relationship which...
10 Sep 2021
BHSM LLP Makes Senior Appointment to Commercial Real Estate Team
BHSM LLP are delighted to announce the appointment of James Lawless as a Senior Associate in our Commercial Real Estate...
12 Jul 2021