Practice Area - Investing in Ireland
Privacy & Data Security
With the introduction of the General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”) in May 2018, the landscape for Data Protection in Europe and Ireland changed substantially. Our team is highly specialised in this area and can steer those looking to invest in Ireland through all issues relating to data protection, privacy law and cyber-security compliance.
Privacy and Data Security is an area of constant concern and great importance for commercial organisations, institutions and public bodies in today's digitised economy.
While businesses are striving to be innovative with the use of advanced levels of technology, processes and frameworks must be implemented and risks must be proactively managed in order to ensure compliance with data protection and privacy law.
In addition, businesses are faced with a higher level of exposure to incidents relating to data and cyber-security breaches, which can result in serious financial and reputational damage for all types of businesses.
Our Team has experience in dealing with complex issues which may arise in this area, together with the knowledge and skills to foresee issues which may arise for businesses in the future.
We have extensive experience in this area, including the following:
- Data Protection
- Data Breach Incidents
- Provided advices in relation to the ‘personal and household’ exemption under the GDPR
- Advised in relation to the processing of health data and the anonymisation requirements under data protection law for documents containing personal data
- Advised in relation to the requirements for the appointment and registration of a Data Protection Officer under the GDPR
- Advised in relation to the creation of GDPR-compliant Privacy Policies and Cookie Policies
- Advising a wide range of commercial clients in relation to the application of the GDPR to the day to day running of their businesses and identifying potential risks in terms of compliance
- Advising a European media company, which was the subject of a data breach, in relation to the recovery of significant funds
- Advising a lending institution in relation to a data protection breach
Get in Touch
Open Banking, Payment Services and the GDPR
In December 2020, the European Data Protection Board adopted new guidelines in relation to the relationship between the...
10 Feb 2021
BHSM LLP Feature in Fingal Chamber Network Magazine
BHSM LLP are delighted to feature in the inaugural edition of the Fingal Chamber Network Magazine. Mark Homan and...
20 Apr 2021