Privacy & Data Security
Privacy and Data Security is an area of constant concern and great importance for commercial organisations, institutions and public bodies in today's digitised economy. While businesses are striving to be innovative with the use of advanced levels of technology, processes and frameworks must be implemented and risks must be proactively managed in order to ensure compliance with data protection and privacy law.
Businesses are faced with a higher level of exposure to incidents relating to data and cyber-security breaches, which can result in serious financial and reputational damage for all types of businesses.
Our Team has experience in dealing with complex issues which may arise in this area, together with the knowledge and skills to foresee issues which may arise for businesses in the future.
We have extensive experience in advising our clients in respect of the GDPR, to include reviewing and drafting privacy and data protection policies, drafting data protection agreements, and dealing with general queries relating to compliance with the GDPR.
We advise clients in the public and private sector in relation to data protection and privacy issues, to include data protection compliance and enforcement issues.
We also advise on a range of issues relevant to the Freedom of Information (“FOI”) Acts, to include their interaction with the relevant Data Protection legislation and procedural advices in dealing with FOI requests.
Our Team also has experience in dealing with a range of data and cyber-security incidents. We have acted in recent litigation on behalf of a number of organisations, both national and multi-national, in responding to serious data security breaches with cross-border dimensions.
- Provided advices in relation to the ‘personal and household’ exemption under the GDPR
- Advised in relation to the processing of health data and the anonymisation requirements under data protection law for documents containing personal data
- Advised in relation to the requirements for the appointment and registration of a Data Protection Officer under the GDPR
- Advised in relation to the creation of GDPR-compliant Privacy Policies and Cookie Policies
- Advising a wide range of commercial clients in relation to the application of the GDPR to the day to day running of their businesses and identifying potential risks in terms of compliance
- Advising a European media company, which was the subject of a data breach, in relation to the recovery of significant funds
- Advising a lending institution in relation to a data protection breach
Get in Touch
Open Banking, Payment Services and the GDPR
In December 2020, the European Data Protection Board adopted new guidelines in relation to the relationship between the...
10 Feb 2021
BHSM LLP Welcomes Two New Solicitors
BHSM LLP has announced the appointment of Ruth Crawley (pictured below right) and JJ McLoughlin (pictured below...
8 Jan 2021